Friday, December 07, 2007

stonefly nymphs have two cerci

I am still a student teacher, but I haven't been teaching for the last week and a half. Today I made paper ornaments for our first Christmas tree, and filled up a notebook page with geometric shapes.

Yesterday I asked my mentor teacher and received permission to print the words "Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species" on paper in 500 point font down to 150 point font and then pasted them onto poster board. After that I had them laminated... and then, just because I had time I outlined the words with Crayola marker. They're really cool markers, by the way, sporting colors like "iguana green" and "tiger orange". Then I put them up in the front of the class thinking I was contributing to the lesson and providing my mentor teacher with a service only to overhear another science teacher saying to my mentor teacher, "Hey, cool kingdom-phylum-class-order-family-genus-species... don't you already have a set of those?"

For five days before that, I had been grading assignments, putting them in alphabetical order (because... well, for no other reason than because I like them that way), and updating both the online grade book, and my own personal grade book just in case the computer grades get erased (which they did a week before that, and I was very grateful for my ol' paper and pencil method). I even tried to pass those assignments back to the students for them to rework for 100% credit. I found most of them in the recycling bin. (At least they care about Mother Earth, if not about their grades.)

From what I've heard about student teaching, this isn't what I'm supposed to be doing. Luckily, I have no other reference points so I can't really be frustrated and am therefore not. Ok, maybe slightly.

en-nui
noun
a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest; boredom: the lecture produced and unbearable ennui.

3 comments:

kel said...

ah, yes. student teaching. well, at least it's close to an end. although it would be nice to go out with a bang. maybe you still can (scheming...scheming).

ash said...

It sounds like your kingdom-phylum-class... cards turned out great! Best o' luck on staying patient with these last student teaching days and good luck with the scheming aforementioned.

Sarah said...

I love the Stinky Cheese Man! So very brilliant. I'm thirding the scheming, if that's cool by you. Good to see you at the show!