Wednesday, January 09, 2008

not scottsdale

I used to think Raspberry-Peach Snapple was the ambrosia of all beverages. It's true.

People used to come into the Great Harvest where I worked and ponder the beverific choices (of which there were many) and believing that it was my job to spread the joyful news, I'd declare, "You should try the Raspberry-Peach Snapple; it's the ambrosia of all beverages."...


Most of the time those customers didn't hear me. Or maybe they ignored me because declaring that something is the "ambrosia" of anything is a bit, well... presumptuous now that I think of it.

At any rate, it
is the ambrosia of all beverages... or I thought it was until my first Christmas away from home. This Christmas.

And now, I have a new ambrosia-of-beverages. And it
is ambrosia. I mean, look at me! I'm even risking sounding presumptuous!

And here is my declaration:


Freshly-squeezed orange juice made from freshly-picked oranges. And not just any oranges... oranges picked from the orange tree growing in the backyard.


A moment of reverence, please.


I'm not sure I need say more.



p.s. raspberry-peach snapple is still held high in my esteem... If you happen to find one, let me know, for they are few and far between.

ambrosia |amˈbrō zh (ē)ə|

noun Greek & Roman Mythology

the food of the gods.

• something very pleasing to taste or smell : the tea was ambrosia after the slop I'd been drinking.
• a fungal product used as food by ambrosia beetles.
• another term for beebread .
• a dessert made with oranges and shredded coconut.

ORIGIN mid 16th cent.: via Latin from Greek, ‘elixir of life,’
from ambrotos ‘immortal.’

and incidentally...

beebread |ˈbēˌbred| (also bee bread)
noun
honey or pollen used as food by bees.

3 comments:

T.R. said...

You know what ambrosia goes great with? Nectar!

kel said...

i remember when i used to walk up to Smith's and buy a kiwi-strawberry Snapple. then we'd buy Crazy Bread at Little Caesar's and eat it at the cemetery. that was pretty good.

but fresh squeezed oj from very local produce trumps Snapple and crazy bread at Memorial Estates.

Janice said...

Wow! Very specific ambrosia but I am sure it can't be beat!