Wednesday, February 15, 2012

mistaken email

For the past few months I've been recieving someone else's emails. Not a lot of them. Just a few messages here and there.

At first I thought they were spam. Like the time when someone emailed responding to my request for info on properties in the UK. "What the...?"

But then they began coming in from some sort of club.

They started out kindly, "Here's the information you requested during our last meeting."

Then they became a little terse, "Here is the information you should have gotten a month ago... I'm sending it to you again per your request."

Then they didn't hold back. Without any formal introduction they plowed ahead with, "I don't have the slightest idea why you aren't getting my emails. Here is the information you requested, yet again, during our last organizational meeting."

I looked up the organization. Again, based in the UK.

About this time I contemplated replying to the emails explaining that the sender had the wrong address and perhaps they should go a little easier on this poor soul. Perhaps they'd left out a period or an underscore. In reality the fact that they aren't getting your emails is quite possibly not their fault at all. I thought about writing. But I didn't want to get mixed up with the frustration on the other end. I longed for a "Return to Sender" button. What better way to tell someone they have the wrong address without having to get mixed up in all their business? They should make that button. But since they haven't, I ended up sending that person to spam too. I wanted no more ranting in my inbox.

And then, just yesterday, I received an email thanking me for my continued patronage at a certain luxury, extended stay hotel. I looked this one up. It's in Hong Kong. Apparently they have a great frequent customer point system with some fabulous perks. They signed me up just because I was such a great customer. I should have unsubscribed to the email. No, what I really should have done is "Returned to Sender". But since that's not an option, I marked them as spam too.

I'm starting to feel like I have this whole other life somewhere else where I inquire after upscale flats on the weekends, argue with the head of the board of my Country Club, and frequently travel to Hong Kong on business. It's a busy life, but Other Me enjoys it . . . at least I think I do. Apparently, though, I only get 3/4ths of my emails.

4 comments:

ash said...

Maybe the "return to sender" button could be a "reply" telling the sender that they've got the wrong email address. I've had to do that a lot lately. Some church group thinks I'm helping with the after school program, serving on the tech team, and bringing refreshments come Sunday. However, according to your emails, you would be the person financing the after school program, having the tech team fix your laptop, and passing on the refreshments but having room service when you get home on Sunday. haha.

The Former 786 said...

My wife kept getting mail for someone with her same name. The intended recipient's email address had a period in it whereas my wife's did not. In the end, my wife wrote the person these emails were intended for and let her know of the mistake. She hasn't gotten one since.

There's no harm in replying to an email like these. If they ARE, in fact, spam, you can always hit the spam button again. Just don't click on any links they send you. :)

kel said...

so, SO great! thank you for sharing! :)

Molly said...

Oh Jo, how I miss you!