Tuesday, November 28, 2006

(this isn’t just a platitude):

plat·i·tude: n.
A trite or banal remark or statement, especially one expressed as if it were original or significant.

This is a new word for me (which is not uncommon). It was presented to me by a person and at a time where I needed to find meaning in anything. There are those times. I was talking to my friend Cate about it. We were in swim class and as I jumped into the water I got the strangest sensation. I began to cry. Something about being thrust into a wet environment from a dry one must have given me a jolt. Seriously I was holding back the tears. "What the...?" I wasn't hurt, I was just cold. I turned to Cate, "Is this normal?" And we both agreed that there are those times.

So, I'm going to learn a new word everyday and I'm going to make note of the circumstances under which I learned it. Then I'll analyze and see if the way one learns about a word affects the amount one will use it in the future. Here goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes. yes.