Wednesday, November 29, 2006

dec·li·na·tion n.

1. A sloping or bending downward.

This word came first thing this morning after I had finished printing off my assignment and settled in Evolutionary Biology. Perhaps the reason so many of my new words come from this place is because of my professor. They tell me he's the best in his field and is often consulted by the big wigs of Evolution. He's written official papers and debated for several different organizations. He knows what he's talking about. And he's wacky. Today he told us that our campus has a PDA problem and perhaps that's what is what we need to get rid of before people really begin to respect our university. I don't know if his disdain for the subject was more entertaining than his obvious delight in his wittiness or vice versa. Either way, that's what I remember him saying today.

2. A falling off, especially from prosperity; a decline.

But he didn't use declination under that circumstance. Rather, it was in relation to varves, temperate lakes, and meadows.

3. A deviation, as from a specific direction or standard.

So, I'm not sure how much this word will be recalled in my memory or if I'll ever find a practical use for it. Still, there is one more definition that I could find a use for.

4. A refusal to accept.

With this definition, wouldn't I sound snazzy waving that word around like it aint no thing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

like it ain't no thing.

my place of employment is experiencing a rapid declination in temperature.

during finals week an increase in stress is paralleled by a declination in sanity.

a slight variation in the declination of the slide greatly affects the enjoyment of the slider.

a declination in the quality of eating habits is due to the lack of grocery purchases.

how'm i doing?

Anonymous said...

he was taken aback by my complete declination of his offer of free pizza.

kel said...

delcination... is that what the dudes wrote back when they had the Boston Tea Party?