Don't get me wrong, I like the word caveat. And when I heard it the first time I vowed to use it whenever I got the chance. But I find that the chance comes less often then everybody seems to
think. Still, I must have heard it three times yesterday in rapid succession (if you can count going from a meeting, then to a class, then to another place rapid succession). I wouldn't even turn my head if it wasn't such a posh way to say "warning" or "caution". For example, "We assigned them this topic with the caveat that they may have to alter their understanding of their own religion and other religions alike." I have a feeling that we might be doing us all a favor when we keep it simple, saving ourselves from having to translate this word each time it is used: "ok, so 'caveat', right... ok, that's Latin for 'cavere' which literally means 'let him beware' which we interpret as 'warning' or 'caution', therefore, the students should beware of the fact that their paradigm might be altered... got it!" and by that time everyone has moved on. Perhaps they decided to log that word away for future analysis. I know that's what I do.Watch. Tomorrow I'll use this word and I'll like the way it sounds and have to reevaluate my opinion. Hmmm... Well! Until then.
But upon further analysis, this post sounds pretty snooty. So, let it be known, if I could use words like "caveat" and "paradigm" correctly without having to look them up first, I might have room to talk.
ca·ve·at
–noun
1. a warning or caution; admonition.
2. Law. a legal notice to a court or public officer to suspend a certain proceeding until the notifier is given a hearing: a caveat filed against the probate of a will.
2. Law. a legal notice to a court or public officer to suspend a certain proceeding until the notifier is given a hearing: a caveat filed against the probate of a will.
4 comments:
jo, i dig the new look!
and i don't think you're snooty at all.
You have created a paradigm shift in my thinking of the word caveat. Well done.
to chris'wife (etc.),
may i just express my appreciation for your post. it brought tears to my eyes. of joy.
no joke! I heard it again today... different professor!
bah!
Post a Comment