Friday, January 26, 2007

"don't change your plans for me"

I was sitting in a forum about art. Normally people don't go to forums but ash got me started and I haven't been able to break the habit. Admittedly, some of them are worthless, but most of them are actually very good. I learn a lot of things I wouldn't learn if I stayed near the biology building all day, so I'm glad. The woman that spoke, Marilyn Chandler McEntyre of Westmont College, read from a poem of her own creation about Van Gogh's painting The Sower. She read, "...vesper song over the hum of the wheat field...". I had no idea what that meant, and granted, her poems about some of Vermeer's paintings weren't my particular favorites. But this poem seemed to make a lot of sense to me and I liked where it was going especially because even though I didn't know exactly what the word "vesper" meant, I got the gist. I liked that. Poetry and I get along only sometimes and this was one of those times. So I celebrate.

She was very articulate and it was a great juxtaposition to the "That's the same thing how science does," from a professor the day before which was equally as fascinating. What causes us to make those kinds of mistakes? Maybe we're just going too fast. Really, maybe we should just slow down (advice I can give but can't apply). Sometimes I wonder why I didn't study linguistics. Really, sometimes I wonder why I didn't study art history, sociology, psychology, English, or philosophy. Not that I'd excel at any of them, but I feel like I'm missing out on so much.

Anyway, here's the definition for your information if you're like me and need it.

ves·per

–noun
1. (initial capital letter) the evening star, esp. Venus; Hesper.
2. Also called vesper bell. a bell rung at evening.
3. vespers, (sometimes initial capital letter) Ecclesiastical.
a. a religious service in the late afternoon or the evening.
b. the sixth of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, occurring in the late afternoon or the evening.
c. Roman Catholic Church. a part of the office to be said in the evening by those in major orders, frequently made a public ceremony in the afternoons or evenings of Sundays and holy days.
4. of, pertaining to, appearing in, or proper to the evening.

2 comments:

the anna said...

what did the poem say?
and what did the professor from before say?
i'm glad we have a train ride ahead of us. i have so many questions.
and,--oh! i just went through a set of journals about interdisciplinarianism as a discipline. weird.-- but aren't you the one who says there's not really a difference between studying science and studying art?

Anonymous said...

I never went to a forum at BYU. Good for you. Can't wait to see you tomorrow.