Right now I'm reading Dostoevsky's, The Idiot.At first I thought I only liked Dostoevsky because I had the endurance to get through Crime & Punishment at the distracted age of 17 (I wasn't much into reading then). But after getting into this new book I think I have to say I like Dostoevsky. I do. I would go into a literary discussion about why exactly I like Dostoevsky, only I don't really know. Even now, I've written, "Perhaps it's the way he..." three times without successfully finishing that sentence.
I've heard that The Brothers Karamazov is one of Dostoevsky's best, but my book says The Idiot is "his masterpiece". And who can we trust if we can't trust the summary on the back of a book, eh?
Can anyone weigh in on this for me?
And now that I think of it, there is a picture that describes the reasons why I like Dostoevsky, but, again, I can't put words to it and for this I apologize. But here's the picture for what it's worth:
syn·es·the·sia:-noun
a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color.
3 comments:
Do the characters in The Idiot each have lots of different names (i.e. Dimitry is also Mitya and Mitka OR Alyosha is also Alexei or Lyoshenka)? This confused me quite a bit when reading Dostoevsky 'best' (according to the back o' the book). Do you skim over the names and not really sound them out when you read, or do you specifically sound them out each time? When you finish, let me know if I should read his 'masterpiece.'
what i want to know is, where does Dostoevsky get those names? i mean they look like Russian or something. seriously.
Check out Iggy Pop's "The Idiot." He may not be Dostoevsky, but with David Bowie producing and co-writing, he's almost Dostoevsky.
- MS
Post a Comment