Wednesday, March 12, 2008

to the tune of glass figurine

I used the word tomfoolery today.

I was granted a speeding ticket on my way to work.

It was given in the usual manner. Did I know the speed limit? I did indeed know that the speed limit changes as one turns onto this street. Did I know that it doesn't change until after the overpass? I did not. Yes, indeed, the speed limit remains at 35 until after the overpass and the picks up to 50 thereafter. Is that so? It is. This pleasant exchange of getting-to-know-you questions ended with me handing over my license, registration, and proof of insurance.

This is how I would have liked to end the conversation:

"Well, thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding of the speed limit in those few yards of space," roll up my window and drive away...

You'll be happy to know that I didn't respond in this manner and that I was offered Traffic School (indicated by the "TS" the officer wrote on my citation, he told me).

I'm obviously thankful, however, I've been issued so many speeding citations (not that I'm proud of it by any means) that I'm pretty sure they're soon going to be asking ME to conduct traffic school. And I feel like the police officers and I have a bond. You know,

"hey, you're speeding again."
"bah! you're right! silly me."
"you know, you're not supposed to."
"yeah, yeah, I know."
"well, I'll go get your traffic school invitation for you."
"thanks."
"you know the drill right?"
"yeah, I know the drill."
"ok, drive safely."
"you betcha."

You can bet your boots I won't be speeding anytime soon. But the officers know I'm out there, and I'm sure we'll meet again during a period of speeding weakness. Let's just hope the intervals in between our get-togethers get exponentially larger, eh?


tom·fool·er·y
noun
1. foolish or silly behavior; tomfoolishness.
2. a silly act, matter, or thing.


tomfool
"buffoon, clown," 1650, from M.E. Thom Foole, personification of a mentally deficient man (1338),
Tomfoolery is recorded from 1812.

3 comments:

Kylie said...

Love the blog, Jo. Love it.

Once I was pulled over in high school. I had skipped out on seminary that day as I was sick and had indeed planned to skip out on school as well. For some reason my mom thought it appropriate for me to pick my sister up from said seminary and take her to said school. The obedient child I was, I did as I was asked.

The disobedient citizen I was, however, caused me to go 35 in a 15 zone. Luckily the police were there to remind me of my mistake. Because I was taking a quick trip, I opted not to bring my wallet, therefore rendering myself license-less. Also, being in California one is not allowed to drive other people without an adult present until one has had one's license for 6 months, which was not the case as I had mine only 3 months or so. To add to it, we had recently purchased the truck I was driving from my grandpa in Utah, and had no proof of ownership and no registration.

I must be quite charming, because I was let off with a simple warning. And somehow my sister remembers none of this! Sigh.

The Former 786 said...

Sorry, Jo. That sucks. Speeding tickets are never a pleasant experience. If they were, people would be speeding more to have the aforementioned pleasant experiences.

Anyway, I still haven't learned my lesson, either. The only tickets I've ever gotten were for stupid things like expired registration (multiple times) and improper display of license plate. And the one time I got pulled over and I really deserved a ticket (I was speeding through Sardine Canyon) the cop let me off with just warning.

What is THAT supposed to teach me?

ash said...

Ahh, the joy of traffic school. It's always interesting to see all of the different kinds of people who show up to the session. Sorry to hear about the ticket, what a pain.