Friday, February 29, 2008

two weeks to make a habit, eh?


I'm hungry.

I mean, really hungry. And it seems like all I can think about is a hamburger and fries!

Blast!

I mean, after three years of attempting to train myself to steer my hunger toward healthy things, my thoughts are still going to fries?!? (hamburgers can be healthy, so I'm not too worried there, I mean pickles... right?)

So here's what I'm proposing. Can you send me some good ideas of what to think about when I get really hungry like this? I mean, to take the place of greasy fries.

Thanks. You're a gem.

proclivity:
noun
natural or habitual inclination or tendency;
propensity; predisposition: a proclivity to meticulousness

10 comments:

cate said...

Think of lightly frosted layer cakes floating about in the air. Shoot! That's just as bad. Well, it goes to show that even though our vices are different we have essentially the same problem.

But to solve it. Sometimes I can fight off my sweet cravings if I can think of something delicious and healthy to eat. When cakes and Sees dark chocolates cross my mind, especially those lemon creams, with the white swirly chocolate on top and the...okay... deep breath...Well, I replace it with thoughts of hummus turkey sandwiches on rye and Odwalla fruit smoothie drinks. It could be different for you though. Maybe you could refocus your thoughts to condiment sandwiches. An A1 sandwich on wheat could take you to dreamy food thoughts.

The Former 786 said...

If you cook fries in olive oil and deep fry the hamburger in olive oil, it's healthier, right?

I mean, olive oil is good for you, right?

Now I'm hungry for a hamburger!!

ash said...

Have some graham crackers and milk, those always tend to fill me up so I don't think of eating anything for a long time. Sure, you're consuming some calories, but there's some protein in the milk. How can you go wrong?

Jessica said...

Hey, Joey! I know how this is, as I am trying to shed some pounds that crept on last year. When I want something salty and snacky like fries, I eat popcorn. Some companies sell mini bags so that it's not too high in calories. Popcorn has quite a bit of fiber and has a bit of protein too. For the sweet cravings, mini bags of kettle corn popcorn are great. Otherwise, I say just give in once in a while!

Sarah said...

Just bake some fries. Cut a few potatoes into wedges, rub them with a little (little!) bit of olive oil and salt, (and parmesan cheese...mmmm,) then bake on a foil-lined cookie sheet for 35 min at 400. Tasty tasty tasty. Eat them with a few carrot sticks and a glass of milk and pat yourself on the back.

Janice said...

I drink tomato juice.

Chism said...

I think I experience this "sensation" everyday at work. I sit at a desk, and craving those fries, with ketchup. Fancy to be exact, because supporting Terry 'Heinz' Kerry would be just plain wrong.

But to curb the craviings I try to focus on fresh ideas. Pretty much anything featured on Harmons Commercials. Fresh Fruit, Good bread, and I love trail mix!

It's no training table cheese fries, but hey what can you do.

PS This is Chism I found your blog through a mutual friend's blog.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

When I think of hamburgers and french fries, I think of the movie Super Size Me. That always seems to take away some of the appeal.

kel said...

i'm not a dietitian, nor do i play on on TV but i like a burger and fries as much as you do - i can sympathize. salt. grease. someone else makes it for you. enough said.

so, let's say once a month, sure, why not. for those other times... warmed corn tortillas with mashed avocado, a bit of olive oil and salt. toasty cheese with tomato and basil (fresh or dried) on top. Kashi GoLean cereal (so good and packed with protein and fiber) with a banana and milk. beans and rice. hummus sammich with all the fixin's or as a dip for toast, carrots, etc. tuna sammich (only a bit of mayo) with mustard, pickled pepperoncini and other veggies. hot naked - plain or with tomato and oregano. popcorn is a great snack - especially if you can make it from 'scratch'. add a cold (refrigerated) orange to any of these things.

for those moments when you're not near your house to make something... a hand full of good nuts (i prefer cashews) can go a long way.

and when you still want someone else to make it for you, Quiznos.

i have more ideas but i don't want to overload you blog so you know where to find me.

Lobbie said...

Chocolate-covered granola bars? Actually almonds work well for me if you like nuts. Pecans also have a slightly sweet flavor, but they are expensive. But some granola bars are OK health-wise and still have enough sweetness to satisfy my cravings when I'm trying to eat healthy.
Also you could try eating so much junk-food in one day that it makes you sick of it forever. (Kind of like when they make people smoke 10 packs of cigarettes in a day to get them off....)