
There was an unforeseen benefit to being the caboose, however. One of the best parts about going on the Fiery Furnace guided hike is watching everyone else go on the Fiery Furnace guided hike. As the caboose, and pre-caboose (which I deemed my husband since he stuck with me during my brief caboosing career) we were able to see what other eager hikers did not. Our fellow hikers were cordial, but occasionally had trouble keeping their minor anxieties inside. An example:
"Just jump over here, honey, and I'll catch you and help you over." [Insert shoe-traction-slipping noises]
"Do you have sure footing?"
"Yes." [More slipping noises]
"Ok, now I'm just scared."
"HONEY, just jump!"
"I can't!"
It was fantastic to observe the struggle and have an extra few minutes to explore the Furnace ourselves... that is, while we waited for people to, you know, jump.
And I must mention Panati's Extraordinary Origins of Everyday Things. This was my graduation gift from my oldest sister. We read this book one night at the campsite while waiting for dinner to warm up and... well... couldn't stop reading. Seriously. We read before going to sleep. We read on our way to our next hike. We read while in the tent while it rained. And when we woke up and traveled to our final hike, we read some more. There was a point in one day when I said, "Well, shall we start another hike?" and the conversation continued, "Sure... "
"I sense hesitation... and I'm really tired"
"Yeah, I'm tired too."
"Actually, I just want to read about more about the origins of ordinary things."
"Me too!"
So we did.
And, I have to say, without regret.
Origins we've enjoyed so far:
covering a yawn
flipping of a coin
the evil eye
knocking on wood
...and more!
But don't take my word for it -- [duh-nunt-nunt]

5 comments:
lu-cky! (duh nunt nunt)
Good times: caboose, pre-caboose, origins, Fiery Furnace, and slipping noises. I can see the conversation now, you explained it perfectly.
I've never heard of the book but is sounds amazing. Are you in WI yet?
I must have this book.
This book sounds like a better time-waster than the almighty Facebook. It's probably better for you, too.
My husband and I enjoyed the Dictionary of Aggravation, which explains the scientific principles behind all things aggravating, so this is right up our alley!
Post a Comment