Wednesday, August 13, 2008

good sleepin' weather

I recently admitted to myself that I have quite an interest in the weather.

I constantly think about the weather and what the weather is like in different places.

When I talk to my family on the phone (many of them scattered about the country) I find it difficult to fight the urge to ask them right off the bat, "What's the weather like out there?"

I also fight the urge, unsuccessfully, to tell others what the weather is like where I am standing.

For example, yesterday the average temperature was 75 degrees Fahrenheit, partly cloudy (but big cumulus clouds) with little humidity. Cool enough to wear a cardigan but sunny enough to get a tan (not that I would know). Pleasant evening weather and even better weather for sleeping. Yeah, that's right, good sleeping weather.

I had a whole conversation with someone I recently met about the different weather experienced on Halloween day. After all, isn't that one of the days it matters most? I mean, I've gone through all sorts: dressing up like Lucille Ball only to have to wear a parka leaving people to guess what the crazy hair and lipstick meant, walking around with two pieces of soggy poster board after it rained and the Three of Spades became a stick of human licorice carrying two soggy pieces of poster board, and happily skipping through a cool autumn breeze as a pencil where the weather wasn't a hindrance... but rather being able to get over a curb due to a costume deficiency and limited range of motion in my knees... oh, that and everyone thought I was the Tin Man... come on people.

So, now I'm curious... what's the weather like where you are?

Or better yet, any good Halloween weather stories?

7 comments:

Hillary said...

The weather here has been great. Not too humid and hot (like it usually is). It often looks like it's going to rain, but it usually only really happens once a week or so. Recently there's been a nice breeze as well. I really can't complain. :)

english said...

warm here but nights cooling a little. perfect for sleeping. ( I only got about 2.5 hours last night but that was an exception). some terrific storms over the weekend too.

and I really like the graphic. what can you say about it?

ash said...

You're description of Halloween costumes was superb. You caught all of the magic of Halloween and weather in one paragraph. It's a paragraph I'll certainly remember.

Here it's 80s in the day and 60s at night. Good for keepin' the door open (and the screen door closed) at nights.

cate said...

Nothing but hot except for humid. Although I will say that the latest hurricanes coming through the Gulf area have made for pleasant Austin weather breaking up the 100+ degree streaks.

The Former 786 said...

I remember the first time I went up to Spring Haven (up Hobblecreek canyon) on Halloween night it was snowing like crazy!

So there I was driving on a lone, dark and dreary street in the middle of a forest all by myself - then, in the distance, I saw a man walking alongside the road.

I felt bad for the poor guy. Here he was, walking in the middle of a crazy October snowstorm and no one would pick him up because it was a scary Halloween night.

So I slowed down just a little bit and as I got closer he turned and looked at my car. He had a scraggly beard, dark eyes and a gruff demeanor (not to mention a large trench coat) and it was a DARK AND SCARY HALLOWEEN NIGHT!!!! So I returned back to my former speed and went past him.

I'm sure he wasn't far from his destination. And he DID have a big trench coat on so he was warm enough. But for the rest of the night at Spring Haven I was sure he'd followed me and was going to be peaking in the windows any moment.

Miss Berrie said...

My mom always made me wear sweat pants (not sweet pants) under my princess dresses when I went trick-or-treating. It was seriously damaging to the look I was going for.

Lobbie said...

TAYLOR! I TAG YOU! WOOOOOOOO-hooooooooooooooooooo!

So when you get back to the blogging, ya got somethin to write!

Woot!