Friday, July 25, 2008

July 24th.

I always look forward to this day with anticipation. It's that extra bit of celebration you feel cheated out of on the 4th of July. You know, when you think, "Did we really go through all of our fireworks? That was it? Hmmm. That didn't seem like much. Thank goodness for the 24th."

Ok, so maybe that's just me.

Still, I love that we have yet another reason to celebrate. Thank you Pioneers. I'm sure you had my love of pyrotechnics in mind when you traveled across the country battling disease, hunger, freezing temperatures, and other misfortunes.

There was only one problem this year. You'll have to come close to the computer so I can whisper it in your ear...

Wisconsin doesn't know.

I know! How embarrassing, right?

Still, we made what we could of it and went to a nearby state park to eat impromptu hamburgers and strawberries and honey. We were the only people at the lake for the majority of the evening while we constructed a sand castle out of freshly imported sand they haul in to make a small beach. For a few minutes we were joined by two gray-haired men who discussed buying estates and "taking up flying". They asked us if we were making a replica of the Taj Mahal. I guess it did look a bit like it from afar.

And even though Wisconsin somehow doesn't know that July 24th is a holiday, it sure turned out a beautiful day despite its ignorance. Perhaps it knows deep down, "Hey, I think people should celebrate today."







4 comments:

Jess said...

DC doesn't know the secret either. It looks like you guys celebrated in grand style. Here's to the pioneers!

kel said...

great photos! i love the colors.

Lobbie said...

I envy your imported-sand Taj Mahal and the strawberries! Oh sweet strawberries!

Unknown said...

I love the mushroom picture. And I thought I was the only one that took pictures of my shadow. Glad to know it's not that odd of a thing to do.