Friday, September 19, 2008

format cells

Under the buzz of weary fluorescent lighting and over the "stand-up" station cubicle dividers someone business-professional-ly hollered, "Don't be a stranger."

I looked to the bright yellow flowers of the potted plant sitting on my desk, an empty thank you! notice conspicuously sticking out of the dirt, then down at the bar coded sticker that still remained on the over sized yellow (and loud) cellophane wrapped around the plastic pot. "How do I reply to that?"

"OK." managed to stumble out of my mouth just to end an awkward silence that, in a world of Excel sheets and deadlines, seemed to be going on for too long. She was busy, I could tell, because she's always busy. That and because she was hollering at me from over the divider where I could barely see the top of her head, maybe even the rims of her glasses. It takes all of two seconds to come around to where I sit.

So, I stopped working for a minute to add onto my rubber band ball and to think. What does that phrase even mean?

I didn't come to any kind of conclusion but apparently I have agreed to "not be a stranger".

I hope I succeed.

6 comments:

kel said...

i think what she really means is 'don't take candy from strangers.' because they can put poison or razor blades in the candy and you would never know until you ate it and were severely wounded. also, strangers will offer you candy to get in their car and then they will kidnap you. so i think she was just trying to keep you safe since Halloween is coming up and all. mmm-bye.

Lobbie said...

Ahhh Taylor, how I love thee!

Kylie said...

Oh man, good luck! I just hate when I inadvertently agree to not be a stranger. You can do it, Jo!

ash said...

You described that potted plant perfectly. I can see the barcode, cellophane, and card right now. And do you actually have a rubberband ball? I've always wanted to make one myself.

T.R. said...

Have you read "The Stranger"?

Me either, but it probably has to do with that.

Chism said...

Because all pop music relates to life, Hilary Duff sings:

Theres a stranger in my life
You're not the person that I once knew
Are you scared to let them know it's you
If they could only see you like I do
Then they would see a stranger too


BTW I hate this phrase with a passion. People use it like it's sincere, when really it's giftcard with 2 cents on it. Useless!