Thursday, October 02, 2008

"he don't listen"

Ok.


There is something that has bothered me for some time.


And as I sat at my desk today during long sprees of copy-and-pasting, and trying not to listen to gossipping for gossip's sake intermingled with jokes said in poor taste I dedicated some thought to it once again.


And that is this:


The word vermilion does not in any way match the actual color of vermilion.

I mean, in no way does the word vermilion make you think of bright red with a hit of orange. The letters in the word are not warm and bright, and they definitely aren't red.

And the sound of the word! Even further from the actual color it describes! A greyish-blue perhaps. Even a icy blue, but red?!? My goodness, no.


You can see how strongly I feel about this.


So what better to do than to ask people who probably know better than I do. That is to say, all of you. My questions being, what is with that name?


Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Personal opinions most definitely valued.

7 comments:

english said...

vermilion? why, sounds like fuzzy math.

nice flycatcher

kel said...

being a color nerd and all, i'd have to say this is an interesting observation. i've always associated this word with the color so it's viridian (green) that throws me for a loop. i'm curios to know what about the word 'vermilion' conjures up cold and gray images?

Anonymous said...

For me it is a bright orange-yellow, like the color of leaves in the fall. I most definitely disagree with the gray-blue thing

ash said...

Vermilion to me sounds like chamelon, so I can see why you are picturing a different color.

Jess said...

To be honest, if you would have asked me what vermillion meant before you posted this blog, I would not have known. And, if somebody would have told me vermillion was a color and I had to guess which, I would have guessed green or gray or something like that because the name reminds me of a salamander. So, I see where you are coming from Jo.

jill said...

Let's see...vermillion dollar bailout=dirty money green color. Actually it does seem to match the blue hues. A good red color though: Alizaron Crimson. Yes? No?

The Former 786 said...

Vermilion always sounded like "vermin" to me.

And vermin are usually brown or grey.

I feel your pain.