Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dense Fog Advisory

Did you know they don't have any emoticon for "fog"?

They've got one for "sunny" and "rainy" and they've even got a sliver-of-a-moon for moon-ish moods.

But no fog.

How do I know?

Well, I entertain myself throughout the day instant message-ing (I'm fairly new to it, so it still holds some charm for me) my husband observations of the weather limiting myself to emoticons only. See, I am lucky enough to have a giant window just a few steps from my desk, whereas he, unfortunately, does not. So, naturally, I fill him in on what's going on outside. He hasn't necessarily asked for such a service, but I'm sure he finds it beneficial. I mean, who wouldn't?

Anyway, today there was fog. And I searched and searched my small box of options for a "fog" or a "fog" replacement, but to no avail! Not a fog to be seen. I even looked for a "frog + Y - R" option, but unless he can interpret "sheep" (why do they even have that option?) as "frog" it wasn't working.

So, I typed him "pizza slice" to which he relied "smiley-at-a-birthday-party" and we continued on with our day.

Now, it's true. I just spent two minutes of your time talking about emoticons, a fact I hoped would never be listed among my achievements, but I thought it worth informing you in case you find yourself in a similar predicament--and you may.

On a more interesting note, it's hot chocolate season.

8 comments:

ash said...

This post had me laughing! Is there an emoticon for ice rain? Enjoy hot chocolate season. By the way, I tried to find instant Apple Cider at the grocery store and, much to my dismay, there was none to be had.

kel said...

if only we could always communicate via emoticon. i know for me most of my thoughts fit very well into one of those simple, yet deep illustrations.

i <3 u + fog = pizza slice ;D

Chism said...

Your stories just keep getting better... and make me laugh even more! Random fact about emoticons... When a person uses one at the end of an email to a stranger, the sender is perceived as being more likable than their co-workers, and more of a close friend.

Go figure.

:) (Do I seem more friendly?)

Molly said...

I have entered the world of Jo.

Kylie said...

Pizza slice...

Everyone likes pizza on a foggy day. That works just great!

Jess said...

:| :) 8^{)

Jon said...

Why don't you make your own emoticon for fog? You can do that with any picture. But you probably already knew that.

ash said...

Last night I dreamed that you'd updated your blog...funny, eh?