Wednesday, July 28, 2010

your thoughts requested:

Dare to be mediocre.


This is a phrase I read in a book my sister recommended and I've been thinking about for a while.

I'd like your input.

Your thoughts, please?

7 comments:

Lindsey Hicks said...

Thank you for asking. I always have an opinion ready just in case! I do think it is daring to be mediocre - because it is daring to fight the system. Expert marketers train us from a young age to always want more and society convinces us that our value depends on being better than other people. As long as we buy into this we're miserable with our own and society's unreasonable expectations. What is wrong with being comfortably average? Why not dare to be mediocre and in doing so dare to be happy, satisfied, and fulfilled?

kel said...

i agree with Linds. it's a great idea to be mediocre at some things (not all things - it's good to be awesome at a couple things) but being average is a-okay in a lot of areas and it allows us to relax and enjoy. not everything is a project to kick butt and takes names. it's nice to let go of superior when it's not your family or your dreams.

ash said...

I like what the others have said. I've also got to think a little more on this. I read your post yesterday and I'm still thinking. More later.

By the way, I am diggin' the new blog design. Hip-ola

Jon said...

I'm not sure how I feel about that statement. It's a double-edged sword to me. On the one hand, daring to be mediocre helps you embrace yourself and find contentment in imperfection, accepting your limitations. On the other hand, I find that so much of my joy comes from pushing myself out of my comfort zone and striving for new heights, even if I don't achieve my goal.

I guess that while it may be appropriate for many, I'm not sure I can accept it for myself right now.

cate said...

For me, this statement seems to have something to do with self contentment. Content with a PBJ and finding meaning in a connection to whatever community you are a part of type of lifestyle.

Indeed it is good to push yourself to do great/new/impressive things but whatever you are left with in the end needs to be something you can dare to accept and enjoy.

Chism said...

Your simple and thought-provoking post has had me thinking for the past month.

Before sending an email, talking to a friend, or other life event, I have thought if about what would happen if I was mediocre or not.

In same ways it greatly benefitted me by having a change of emotion or making me think creatively. "What would a mediocre person say"

But in other instances I realized by standing out, I automatically became a target by others.

The Former 786 said...

I don't dare. I'm a chicken. I'm going to continue to be boringly extraordinary.