I recently ventured to an antique book shop in a small town near ours. I'm not an expert in literature, ancient books, or anything old really, I just like the way the shops feel and the ambiance inside them. I also like taking a book off the shelf and thinking, "Somebody purchased this book way back when and it's been read and reread and saved until somehow it made it here." Not to mention, it's fun to read what's written inside the front cover and imagine who wrote it and why.
But on this day, I have something new to add to reasons why I love these mysterious places. As I was scanning the children's book titles (I ultimately settled on the The Story of Babar. I loved that book as a kid, but did you remember how sad it is? I didn't). Anyway, as I was getting reacquainted with the story of Babar, I hear from the front desk,
"Oh yes, we've got ghosts. Plenty of them. There are ghost throughout this place." The owner of the shop and a patron were in mid-conversation. The patron continued,
"We've got ghosts as well. A few of them actually."
"Yeah? You know, one of them here requires room in the bed and will knock you square between the shoulder blades until you give 'em a place to sleep."
"Oh really?"
"Really. And we've got a smoker."
I strained against the noise of another patron entering the shop to see if I could catch the details of this newest smoking ghost and unfortunately couldn't catch a word. But what struck me as unusual was how casually these two women were discussing their "ghosts", as if they were discussing clothing or furniture. You know, like a "We've got a really nice sofa." "Oh yeah? Me too" kind of thing. They made it sound like in order to be categorized among the cool kids, one had to have a ghost. I'll admit I even felt a little left out. But you can bet that I'll be on the lookout for my own ghost so that I'll have something to report at my next visit to the shop... you know, because anybody who is anybody has a ghost.
6 comments:
I didn't know that ghosts smoke. Or did the woman mean the ghost was a smoker and is no longer a smoker but still called it a smoker? Okay, there really are some details about this whole ghost situation that I need cleared up. Your ghost story just adds to the cool book store ambiance that you mentioned.
And I'm glad you found a good book! Babar is sad? Does he end up leaving his family in the jungle or something? Is it something like that?
love the new look on jackie smaz! and yes, Babar is sad and a little weird. but hey, elephants dressing up in people clothes and riding in hot air balloons... it's great stuff when you're a kid.
also, that ghost must be smoking out of habit only. i mean, how does a ghost get any satisfaction out of smoking? just goes to show you how hard it is to quit. the anti-smoking campaign should get in touch with this gal to collaborate on some new advertising ideas.
oh yeah? well we have TWO ghosts in our flat...and they are astrophysicists. beat that book shop!
Psh! Are you saying, Jo, that YOU don't have a ghost? I've had several. My ghosts have ghosts!
Seriously, though, I would have LOVED to hear that conversation in its entirety.
that is soooo funny! Would have love to have heard the whole conversation. You will have to go back and see what other kind of ghosts they have.
I think the important question in all this is really, "How DO you pronounce the name 'Babar'?"
Post a Comment