Monday, February 05, 2007

these things take forever


Not to complain, but to complain. I'm a little weary of students saying, "I'm no good at biology." Seriously, folks it couldn't be further from the truth. I mean, I can understand saying, "I'm no good at remembering the Kreb's Cycle perfectly" or "I'm no good at sequencing the genome of a nematode." But seriously folks, you're no good at biology? You ARE biology. I hate to break it to you, but that means you were born "good at biology". Biology is intuitive no matter who you are. Really, I'm not joking. So! What do I tell the student that says, "I don't know... I'm no good at biology"? Seriously... what do I say? Today I said, "No, I won't have that said in this discussion section. If there is anything you learn from me this semester it is going to be that you are good at biology. Folks, if you are struggling with a biological conundrum, just relate it to yourself and think, 'What would I do in this situation?' and 90% of the time, you'll do the same thing that a bear, deer, or fish would do. We're all the same. What makes sense to you will make sense to them." And it's true. If I find myself without food the food that I normally eat, I'm going to find the next best thing. If in fact there is nothing with which to replace my food, I'm going to go look for a place that does have food. And if I never find food, I'll go extinct. Intuitive. Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

And I said "caveat" today... I couldn't help it... it kept coming up in my head. After I said it, I apologized to the class. I think they were a little confused to be honest.

4 comments:

Janice said...

While I may be biology, I certain don't understand myself. So sorry, I am not good at biology. I might be going extinct.

kel said...

wait a minute janice... you're better at biology than you think. after all, who had a dream about chicken DNA explaining the reason for a sharp nose?

anyway, it's like when people say 'i can't even draw a stick figure.' sure, it's hyperbole but students start to think it's reality. so i've resorted to the same kind of logic to explain. if you can write your name, you can draw a stick figure. and if you can focus on something for longer than 30 seconds you can make art. biology is existence and art is the impulse of that existence. hate to break it.

Janice said...

I can't draw a stick figure.

jo said...

janice! my dear, dear friend. what is this all about?

we are going to have to have a serious discussion about this, you and i.

i won't have this said on my blog!

hey kel, biology and the art thereof... i think janice should be the first student to sign up for the class.