Saturday, January 06, 2007

kettle corn and 5 am

I have a good friend leaving this good country for a short sabbatical in England. In answer to your question, she isn't going all the way to England to be a nanny on Berkeley Square only to get tied up in all sorts of nanny nonsense. No, no my friends she is not. But in light of her leaving, I went to visit her before she goes away. And as I walk in, I see another friend of hers and mine putting the finishing touches on a delicious looking sandwich-on-a-roll (they're always the perfect size). The look of the sandwich was fantastic and prompted me to say, "My, that looks like a delicious sandwich." And as our friend lifted the sandwich to his mouth with a confident nod, my England bound friend's mother replied, "Uh, well. I don't know about those antiquated rolls. They've been in the refrigerator for who knows how long." The sandwich hesitated there just before the bite; I could see the wheels turning inside our friend's mind. But in the end, bite he did.

I laughed. But I have no qualms. Sometime ask me about boiled pizza and the like.

an·ti·quat·ed

–adjective

1. continued from, resembling, or adhering to the past; old-fashioned: antiquated attitudes.


2. no longer used; obsolete or obsolescent: The spinning wheel is an antiquated machine.

3. aged; old: Feel free to eat the antiquated rolls.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sandwich on a roll is the only way to go--even if it the bread is a little old. I'm thinking in Feb--Chris and I will come down and take you, BJ and my nephew Isaac to dinner at the Brick Oven. They have a great honey mustard chicken sandwich.

Anonymous said...

Joey -

That's a pretty funny story, well told. I found your blog b/c Marta posted a link on hers. Thanks for making me laugh.

Speaking of old bread, my freezer is currently housing a bag of those small rolls that we Mormons use for mini sandwiches at farewells and the like. My nephew's farewell was in August. My sister thought that rather then throw them away she'd give them to me - she was sure that no matter how old, I'd eat them. She's right.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Interesting blog. Yet, I feel like I have checked it a lot lately with no new updates. Hmmm. Interesting, very interesting.