Monday, February 26, 2007

think about Le Chatelier’s Principle to answer this question

Apparently I've been dated. Seriously. And I'm not that old.


This weekend I was rockin' out to some excellent Howard Jones (thanks brooke) tunes in my nifty rental car with an excellent sound system when my passenger said to me, "Howard Jones? I don't recognize him."


I must admit that this was shocking to me. I mean, people don't have to listen to Howard Jones but I thought that they'd at least know him.


And then today, I was writing the word "granular" which reminded me of "glandular" and then "Angeler" and my brother's impression of Tony Danza on Whose the Boss? came into my mind, "Angeler, it's glandular!" Sheer hilarium.


So, in keeping with tradition, I turned to the person next to me to share the hilarity. She asked me what I was laughing at, so I began, "So, you know Whose the Boss? Did you ever watch that show?" And her reply was equally as shocking: no. My goodness! So I continued, "Well, you know Tony Danza?" And again!: no, I've never seen that show. Confused, I mumbled something about how I was laughing about somethingfunnybrotherimpressionerumfbllm... and trailed off before it became abundantly clear that I had been dated!

I don't know how I feel about this. What's next? A generations who knows nothing of Bill Nye the Science Guy?!?! It must not be! kel and I are on it though. Never fear.


a·nach·ro·nism

1. The representation of someone as existing or something as happening in other than chronological, proper, or historical order.

2. One that is out of its proper or chronological order, especially a person or practice that belongs to an earlier time: "A new age had plainly dawned, an age that made the institution of a segregated picnic seem an anachronism" (Henry Louis Gates, Jr.)

10 comments:

Mumsy said...

You are so funny, Jo.

Which brother? I think I can guess which one.

Janice said...

Now you know how I felt when you and Beej were making fun of 80's music. It sometimes hurts to get older.

the anna said...

jo, if you're dated, i'm dated.
the ignorance of the younger generation astounds me. (all uppity-like)

how can you not know who's the boss?

jo said...

But, janice, I do indeed love 80's music. I was raised on it... Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Howard Jones and the like. If I make fun, it's only because it's funny...

oh wait... that doesn't make up for it.

shoot.

kel said...

if people are going to be irresponsible and forget Who's the Boss then we have a very big problem on our hands.

"there's a path you take and a path not taken - the choice is up to you my friend. the nights are long but but you might awaken to a brand new life... brand new life... brand new life around the bend."

Unknown said...

I think it's interesting that you even asked the person if they knew the show Who's the Boss, if you thought that everyone knew it. Wouldn't you have said, "Remember that episode of Who's the Boss...blah blah blah...." and then they would respond that they didn't know it. Part of you knew that there was a chance that they were severly underprivileged and may not have experience the joy that came from that wonderful half hour television program.

Janice said...

Seems like have read this entry before. Oh! Sorry you just haven't added anything new since February! UPDATE YOUR BLOG! (This is meant with all of the love that as a sister-in-law I have for you.)

the anna said...

i agree with janice.
(except about being your sister in law)

english said...

what was the blonde son's name on who's the boss? I'd forgotten about his hair, how awesome in that picture.

Kevin said...

ILU