I love moments when you discover that something you thought was universal turns out not to be universal.
Consider a conversation I had this evening.
We enter mid-conversation:
Kap: [deep breath as if to say something--silence]
j: What was that you were about to say?
Kap: Well, I wanted to say something at this point in time, but I didn't come up with an idea of what to say quickly enough. So I chose to be silent. [Pause to ascertain understanding] Does that ever happen to you?
j: [Thinking] I don't think it ever has. [With a laugh] I can't seem to get the things I want to say out fast enough. They always seem to get backed up in my brain, fighting against the queue to get out.
So, really? Sometimes you don't have anything to say at the moment?
Kap: Really. Or more accurately, I don't have anything that I find interesting enough to say.
j: Wait, so you're telling me you rifle through the Rolodex of interesting topics and sometimes decide that there isn't anything interesting enough to verbalize?
Kap: Yep.
j: Fascinating.
Needless to say, I could learn a thing or two from our good friend, Kappy.
Has this type of revelation happened to you? Or is it just me that tends to think that everyone is just like me?
p.s. Some people actually like the movie "The Pacifier". This was news to me too, and I learned the hard way. Remember that backed up queue of thoughts? Yeah, that can get you into trouble.
6 comments:
I feel like I am always saying something too, and sometimes I am disappointed at what comes out of my mouth (i.e., questions that I know the answers to, yet I still ask so the conversation will continue). So I am with you on this one. And about your movie comment, I have had to learn similar lessons before. One I remember distinctly was when I was dancing with this dude and Britney Spears came on. I made a joke about Britney Spears music, needless to say, this dude was a big Britney fan. The dance was even more awkward after that point.
We call it the "filter" in our house and Dentist husband and I don't seem to possess it. Actually, Dentist husband does have it and uses it way more than I do. The other night, at family dinner, he had to pull me aside and tell me to stop talking. (It dealt with the public school system and Geri and I had very different views)
Matt is certainly a Kappy-type. I am whatever is the opposite. I took a personality test for class today and Jung classified me as an "ENFJ" which makes me an extroverted extrovert. That said, my rolodex does not have as a keen a filter as chaps like Matt. Sometimes I think his "thinking silences" are "angry silences". Most of the time they aren't. This blog post is a good point of reference for future conversations with that dear introvert I married:)
yeah, i have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn't wast a slice of homemade coconut cake right now.
people are very strange.
This made me laugh. Thanks, especially the part about the rolidex of thoughts in the brain and having nothing to say. That happens to me sometimes.
hey, Jo - I like the title. so, are you riffing on blue-eyed projections here? how we imagine the world to fit our idea of it?
Post a Comment