Tuesday, March 07, 2006

the beginnings of a petition for spring break

Why can't I be like the sand children born of the simple elements of the earth who peacefully pass through their lives repeating "don't ruin my home" under the clear blue sky of southern Utah? Here I sit under floors of concrete and steel making my way through an electronic abyss. If I utter a word, if I even think a word, more words come crashing out of this technological marvel spilling colors, fonts, and links onto my lap like the shattered glass of a rear window. Seriously folks. I've been sitting here for way too long reading about tort law and no-fault litigation getting thoroughly nowhere; especially nowhere near understanding the slightest bit about medical malpractice which is the subject of my bioethics research paper.

And the worst part is... there is no spring break in sight. I'm as enthusiastic about learning as the next guy, but this college senior has about had it with the unbroken string of "school days". They tell me it's so I have a jump start on the summer jobs. I just think it's so the powers-that-be can sit back and watch how long it takes for Spring Fever to turn into a full fledged case of Library Junky complete with the side effects of a hiking withdrawal, and then laugh.

But the secret is... I'm going to Hawaii behind their backs. And no amount of biochemistry is keeping me from the redrock this year. You just wait and see.

3 comments:

the anna said...

That's it, Jo, fight for your rights.

What do biology and chemistry have to do with life anyway? [insert science tirade here] Go to Hawaii, sit on the beach with an English teacher...no, that's not it.

You tell those powers-that-be. Tell them I sent you. They'll respond to that for sure.

Anonymous said...

there are those who believe spring break is a state of being, not something that can only be bestowed by BYU administators. if yor mind is prepared, we will find you.

kel said...

yeah! since when was spring break something you traded in for a leg up on job opportunites? i mean seriously. the extra week one gains from getting out early doesn't make up for the major burn out caused by the relentlessness of constant school.

but i can see that you have a better understanding and therefore, like the sand children, realize that a little spring break can go a long way and because of it, you won't ruin your home. way to take spring break into your own hands! wahoooooo!