Tuesday, October 05, 2010

rebel stripes II

Several years later, (almost as long as this second post has taken), I had almost forgotten about the notes page of my owner's manual. Occasionally I would need to look something up and I'd find it again and wonder what happened to this couple. Did they ever reconcile their differences? Was Shawn a total jerk or did he understand where this girl was coming from? Maybe it was Shawn that deserved my empathy. I had no idea, but I still wondered about them.

Until one day, I found it. It was in that hard to reach space where the glove box rubs against the part of the car that holds it there. I remember seeing it and thinking, "I've found it! The answer to all my questions!" I spent quite a bit of time trying to pry it from its place. It must have been hastily shoved in the glove box in anger. Or perhaps it was so loved that it was placed there so she could read it several times a day. I didn't know. I tried to retrieve it until my fingers ached. And slowly, eventually it was mine! It was covered with dust and grime from so many years being stuffed in corner and forgotten. It could have been a grocery list, or a phone number, but somehow, I knew it had to be the next chapter in our story. I read it with excitement:

And now a name to the mysterious writer. Tiffany. Tiffany and Shawn. Many conversations aimed at defining their relationship must have been had in this very car that I now owned. Conversations that they probably never wanted anyone to know about, and here I was, privy to just a short snippet of what they went through. I felt like I had had violated some sort of trust by entering their world without permission. But on the other hand, perhaps I was supposed to learn something from their story. I just didn't know what.

I'll admit, I had a hard time trying to decide who's side I was on. I would find myself at one point feeling sorry for Tiffany and her longing to find someone to love her for who she was, and still other times I would wonder about Shawn and if he'd every be able to trust anyone.

For many years after that, I waited for the day when I'd find an engagement ring box or a break-up CD telling me the conclusion to the story. I did find a CD, Red Hot Chili Peppers I think (Tiffany didn't do a very good job of cleaning before she traded in her car), but by the time someone turned left in front of me and our Rebel Stripes was gone forever (don't worry, all were safe and unscathed... other than my beloved car), I found nothing that ever finished their story for me.

I imagine, however, that this relationship ended and probably not easily. I imagine Tiffany thinking that a new car might be just the thing she needed--to let go of old memories and start a new life--decided it was time for a used Mercury Cougar.

But it could have been a great many things. They may have started a great life together, or slowly and amicably fell out of love and I'm curious what other people might imagine happened to these two.

What do you think? Pray, tell.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love finding other people's notes and letters! I think you are so lucky!

ash said...

I never knew you found a response! Whoa! I love this tale of love misunderstood and trust or lack thereof. And can I just say that Shawn's handwriting is exactly what I thought it'd be. What happened to these two? My guess is like yours, when Tiffany split with the neon she split with Shawn and started a new life. It's sad the neon is gone and now out of production. Your memory of such a car is powerful, and rebel stripes lives on within each one of us (even those who didn't drive it but took the occassional ride).

The Former 786 said...

Wow. I need to buy more used cars. This would be so fun to discover. In my opinion, I don't think Shawn ever existed. I think Tiffany had a split personality where she would have these conversations with "Shawn" in order to discover what she truly wanted in a man.

Also, you were in a car accident??? I'm glad you're ok.

kel said...

the saga continues! i love so much about these two posts. i believe they worked things out and bought the Mercury Cougar together and now they live in a Spanish Fork suburb with four kids and she makes sure that date night with her husband, Shawn happens on a regular basis