Friday, June 27, 2008

rhyming is fun, so says Mayor Ben

I admit that it isn't rare for me to break out in song.

And before you get the wrong idea, I'm not talking about the hey-look-at-me-I-could-have-been-in-our-school's-musical-if-I-wanted-to kind of breaking out in song, but rather, songs often come to my mind and when they do, well, I sing them.
I'm sure this isn't unusual, and only rarely has it been inconvenient bordering on embarrassing (I could have accidentally hummed an Enya song in the library during finals week... I might have... but at least it was Enya, right? Soothing while you're studying. My thinking exactly).

Anyhow, yesterday, for some reason this song came to my mind. Usually, I sing the song until I can't remember the words (or don't know them) so naturally, I thought this song would yield the same results.

So I kept singing.

And I didn't find a place to stop.

And by golly, I knew every word!

It goes thusly (not a word, kind of):

Every up,
Every one in,
Time for the fun to begin!
Come along with us to

[Chorus]

Zoobilee Zoo
Zoobilee Zoo
Magic and wonder are waiting for you.
It's as close as a dream
And as bright as the brightest blue!
Welcome to Zoobilee Zoo!

Let's introduce the Zoobles to you:
I'm Mayor Ben, I'm here
To lend a helping hand.
I'm Bill the Beaver,
I invent things on command.
There's daring and adventure
When Lookout comes to call.
And a Kangaroo named Wazzat!
Can put music to it all.
My name is Van Go,
Just color me fine.
And you will say Bravo
Once the show has begun.
Everyone! Spread the news,
There's so much to see and do.
Just see Cockatoo
When you're in Zoobilee Zoo.
[Chorus]


Apparently it's actually Bill Der Beaver, and I think Van Go (correct spelling, I think) really says, "...color me fun" but still! This song comes back to me about every four years or so. And the show was so crazy.
I mean, it had the likes of Ben Vereen in it, who I remember from our fifth grade viewing of Roots, as Mayor Ben. And I think the actor who played Wazzat (who I couldn't stand) has her own Wikipedia page which means she probably has some sort of career beyond crazy kids shows produced in the mid-80's.
Ah, thank goodness for PBS.
click here for a poor quality YouTube rendition of the Zoolilee Zoo opening song


10 comments:

kel said...

oh me, oh my! thanks for the YouTube link. it's funny, i remembered the song being faster but it's probably just because we'd sing it so fast. the thing that bugged me the most was when Mayor Ben does the 'come here' motion with his middle finger instead of his index finger towards the end. ugh. but we watched that show plenty.

Lobbie said...

Oh I loved this show! I watched it every morning before school in 2nd grade....YEAH!

The Former 786 said...

Wow. I totally forgot about that show, but it is SO familiar to me.

Thanks, Jo!

Chism said...

You totally made my whole day, except for the reminder that I still hate Talkatoo Cockatoo. I guess you could call me a hater, but let's face it... Animals that are self absorbed, have wings, and accents are annoying. Billy Bass come to mind? (except the wings ;)

Kylie said...

Bahahaha! Jo: the PBS junkie.

ash said...

Bill Der Beaver huh? I never would have guessed. Like kel, I always thought the song was a bit faster. Thanks for the youtube link, that was great to watch again. Did we watch the full show often or did we just watch the beginning most of the time (because it was after ghostwriter or something)?

Sarah T. said...

Oh my goodness memory lane. It didn't hit me until I saw the picture. Good times.

jo said...

I'm so glad there are others out there who are familiar with Zoobilee Zoo.

Crazy the things that bring us together.

Matt said...

In the video I see that "Bubbles" the chimp was a guest star. Awesome.

Unknown said...

I'm impressed that you knew all the words. Wow!